Negroni Week 2022: Where to grab a drink in Raleigh, Durham
Negroni Week 2022 is the perfect time to enjoy a fancy cocktail while supporting a charitable cause.
This year’s event – the 10th annual ode to the classic cocktail of equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth – takes place from From Monday September 12 to Sunday September 18, and several local bars and restaurants are participating.
Imbibe Magazine launched the week-long international Negroni event in 2013 “as a celebration of one of the world’s finest cocktails and an effort to raise funds for charitable causes around the world”.
Since its inception, “Negroni Week has grown from approximately 120 participating sites to thousands of sites around the world, and to date the initiative has raised over $3 million for charities,” the event website reads.
This year official partner of Negroni Weekor a charitable cause, is slow foodan international organization that “defends cultural and biological diversity, promotes food education and the transfer of traditional knowledge and know-how, and advocates for more just and equitable food policies”.
While any restaurant or bar can serve Negronis on their regular menus this week, for venues to officially participate in Negroni Week they must donate at least $25 to the event’s official donor partner. Additionally, sites can also choose to support local causes in their communities.
To note: As Negroni Week runs from September 12-18, some venues may have different opening hours throughout the week. Check with each location to see when they will be open and offering their Negroni specials.
Raleigh Bars and Restaurants Participating in Negroni Week 2022
We’ve compiled the list of local participating venues – and we’ve even got a sneak peek at the special Negroni recipes that some local bars and restaurants will be offering as part of the event.
Seven Raleigh locations are listed online as participating in Official Negroni Week this year. We have included information about each site, as well as details of special Negroni options offered at certain sites.
▪ bittersweet – This downtown cocktail, dessert and cafe bar will feature a Negroni Build-Your-Own menu “featuring fun options with basil-infused vermouth, as well as Oreo-infused vermouth paired with exciting gins” . Address: 16 E. Martin St., Raleigh. Website: sweet-amertraleigh.com
▪ oak steakhouse — This “modern take on the classic American steakhouse,” located in Raleigh’s Warehouse District, is part of the Indigo Road Hospitality group of great Southeast restaurateur Steve Palmer. Address: 417 W. Hargett St., Raleigh. Website: oaksteakhouserestaurant.com
▪ spoiler — “Chic meets eccentric” in this “colorful and cozy cocktail bar” in the city center. Address: 116 N. West St., Raleigh. Website: killjoycocktail.com
▪ The Willard rooftop lounge — Enjoy downtown skyline views while sipping your choice of Negroni specialties at this Glenwood South spot. During Negroni Week, the Willard will offer a barrel-aged Negroni (Conniption American Dry Gin, Amaro Montenegro, Carpano Antica sweet vermouth) at a reduced price of $15 and a “New-groni” (Conniption American Dry Gin, Nonino Amaro, Hoodoo chicory liqueur, coffee bitters), also for $15. Address: 9 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh. Website: thewilldraleigh.com.
▪ Dram and draft – This Glenwood Avenue spot offers over 300 whiskeys from around the world, plus craft cocktails and more. Address: 1 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh. Website: dramanddraft.com
▪ Bittery at Crude Bitters – Want a more hands-on Negroni Week experience? North Carolina’s premier bitters company, which also offers a cocktail supply store and classroom, will offer cocktail classes including a Campari Spritz, Negroni and Boulevardier, plus ‘story pairings’ and bitters”. Address: 501 E. Davie St., Raleigh. Website: amersbittersbitters.com
▪ clock movement — This Raleigh spot wants its visitors to step back in time to “when the food was simple, the cocktails were fresh, and the sounds were timeless.” Address: 519 W. North St., Raleigh. Website: facebook.com/clockworkraleigh
Durham bars and restaurants taking part in Negroni Week 2022
Four Durham venues are listed as official Negroni Week spots this year. As with the Raleigh locations, we have information on every participating bar in the town of Bull, as well as a few previews of Negroni specials at select locations.
▪ aisle twenty six – This downtown Durham spot “creates seasonal cocktails with a passion for honoring classic cocktail art and a commitment to using local ingredients, redefining what it means to drink at your local watering hole.” Address: 320 E. Chapel Hill St., Durham. Website: alleytwentysix.com
▪ Mothers and Sons Trattoria — This downtown Durham trattoria puts regional Italian cuisine and handmade pasta center stage. During Negroni Week, Mothers & Sons will offer three innovative versions of the classic cocktail: the “Pre Teatro” (Cardinal BA Gin, Mancino Kopi Vermouth, Durham Distillery coffee liqueur and a twist of lemon); the “In the limelight” (a shaken Negroni with Conniption Navy Strength, Campari, Mommenpop Lime Vermouth and Lime); and the “At the gates of the desert” (Creyente Mezcal, Luxardo Bitter Bianco, Grapefruit Infused Punt e Mes and Hopped Grapefruit Bitters with a touch of grapefruit and salt flakes). Address: 107 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham. Website: motherandsonnc.com
▪ Mateo Tapas Bar — This downtown Spanish tapas bar will offer two classic Negronis, plus a sangria option. The classic negroni will feature Conniption Navy Strength, Campari, Carpano Antica and expressed orange, while the Boulevardier will feature Redemption Rye, Campari, Carpano Antica and a splash of orange. The Negroni Sbagliato Sangria will feature fresh fruit, cinnamon, Iris Vermouth Dorado, Campari and Cava. Address: 109 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham. Website: mateotapas.com
▪ Dram and draft – The Durham Dram & Draft site, like its counterpart in Raleigh, will also participate in Negroni Week. Address: 701 Main Street West, Durham. Website: dramanddraft.com
How to find more Negroni Week spots
Looking for more venues participating in Negroni Week? You can search all locations, in the United States and abroad, on negroniweek.com/find.